Georgia Volunteer Fire Department

1952-2002:  50 Years

Before the era of fire departments, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, a house or barn fire in rural Georgia meant the total destruction of the building. Neighbors helped neightbors the best they could, but supplies of water were scarce.

Selectman Elijah Palmer had approached John Kieselmann in 1951, following the loss of several houses and barns, about a fire department.  But it was the total destruction of the Old White Meeting House in October 1952 that precipitated action.

A group of concerned men met at the Conger School in November 1952 and elected Fred Bliss as fire chief of their newly formed fire department.  They had no trucks, they had no equipment, but they were inspired.  By Town Meeting in 1953, the voters were sympathetic and ten cents on the grand list was approved.

Our Dedicated Fire Chiefs

  • Fred Bliss: 1952-1953
  • John Kieselmann: 1954-1957
  • Robert Ellis: 1958-1959
  • George Benham: 1960-1961
  • Leslie Longe: 1962-1965
  • Roy Gonyeau: 1966-1967
  • Lucien Lapierre: 1967-1968
  • Richard Palmer: 1969-1971
  • Robert Ellis: 1972-1974
  • Ric Nye: 1975-1993
  • Tom Bronson: 1994-2003
  • Malcolm Baker: 2003-2003
  • Steven Bechard: 2004 - 2008
  • Chris Gonyeau - 2009 - 2013
  • Keith Baker 2014 - Present

Thank you to Peter Mallett for providing this information.

Fire Chief Keith Baker 

President-First Response, Jeanne Dube