Land Records


The Town Clerk's Office is responsible for recording all documents on property in the town. Common documents are:

  • Warranty Deeds, Quit Claim Deeds, Mobile Home Bills of Sale & the accompanying Vermont Property Transfer Tax Returns
  • Mortgage Deeds
  • Liens
  • Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) Forms
  • Power of Attorney (POA) Deeds
  • Vermont Water/Wastewater and Stormwater Permits
  • Survey Maps (18" x 24" Mylars)
  • Occupancy Permits
  • DRB Final Decisions
  • Certificates of Compliance
  • Building Permits

Recording Fees

The State of Vermont established the following Recording Fees, effective July 1, 2019, 32 VSA 1671:

$15 per page, and per Discharge, except UCCs
$15 per Vermont Property Transfer Tax Return (PTTR)

$15 per page for Zoning applications - Max of $60 at time of application
$25 per Map (18" X 24" Mylar)
$35 per UCC (additional UCC filing fees)


Recording Process

Documents can be dropped off at the Clerk's Office:

Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


mailed to:

The Town of Georgia

47 Town Common Road North

Saint Albans, VT  05478


Documents are assigned a book and page number, stamped, scanned, and then indexed in our software program. The process takes about a week or two, and then the originals are mailed back. Return envelopes are very helpful but not required.

Even if no money is exchanged, all documents conveying property must accompany Vermont Property Transfer Tax Return, Form PTT-172. Contact the Vermont Tax Department for information on this form at 802-828-2542.


Accessing Land Records

The Georgia Land Records are available in the Town Clerk's Office, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.  Copies of recorded documents are $1.00 per page. Our office does not look up recording information over the phone or perform title research. We can help residents use our software program to find documents/maps, but we cannot offer legal advice.